Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mighty Maus, Kids in the Hall and planning panels

I'm a bit of a kook for for posting the link to page 55 before page 54 ... but that doesn't mean I won't post a link up.

You can find the page I don't trust those lazy bastards, which you can find here. Some more dialogue here with Dr. Darrell Starkwood, which I had a great time writing. It's always fun. Last November I was writing some more story on the character and had a great time developing his backstory and motivations.

Anyhow - he may seem like whatever to you, but I really like him. I wonder if how I see the characters is the same way others see the characters Or, put differently, I wonder if I'm portraying them the way effectively to illustrate to others what the different characters are like effectively. I guess that would have to mean one day sitting down with a reader and comparing notes, eh?

Graphic novel news

First off is a great link talking about how to plan panels, and provides some great examples! Second is a neat segment from an interview with one of the Kids from the Hall, Scott Thompson. He is one of the Kids in the Hall that I haven't met, but would like to one day. Being able to check Dave Folley off the list is a huge milestone, though! Lastly is a fascinating snippit from an anti-Nazi exhibit of graphic novels. Check 'em all out!

How to Plan the Panels for Your Graphic Novel
IdiotsGuides.com



One of the most important aspects of writing a graphic novel is planning out your panels—it’s the storyboard of your work. Unless you’re writing Marvel style, you’ll need to break the contents of each page into panels. A panel is a tricky thing, full of possibilities and limitations. In this guide, we’ll show you how to plan your novel for the best pacing and storytelling.
Click here to read more.

Q&A: Comedian Scott Thompson
The National Post
Stephen Baldwin


Q Your upcoming graphic novel was initially a screenplay, what happened?

A Well it’s a comedy-fantasy-epic with a lot of kinky sex, and that’s just not something people make, unless you’re a superstar, and I’m not. I had to think about another way to get it out. The story has a 28-foot woman and telepathic mammoths that fly, and people have sex with everyone, and there’s gay sex, straight sex, S&M, sex with centaurs, I mean it’s all over the map. Well, I know, you heard sex with centaurs and lost your focus. … I began reading more graphic novels around the time that I realized that this screenplay wouldn’t materialize, and I realized that it was perfect for this project.
Click here to read more.

Jewish graphic novel exhibit open in Schaffer Library
Union College.edu



"Of Maus and Men(sch)," an exhibit created by students in English professor Judith Lewin’s Freshman Year Preceptorial, "Jewish + Graphic + Novel," is open in the Periodicals Reading Room at Schaffer Library.

It runs through April 15.

The course, held winter term, focused on reading graphic novels written by Jews on Jewish subjects, learning critical analysis and learning to write college-level essays. "We investigated the creation of the graphic novel genre, its terminology and visual and textual logic, and why and how it became associated with Jews and Jewish issues," said Lewin.

"Maus" refers to "Maus: A Survivor’s Tale," by Art Spiegelman, a biography in graphic narrative form of the author's father, Vladek Spiegelman, a Holocaust survivor. The only comic book ever to have won a Pulitzer Prize, the work depicts Jews as mice and Germans as cats.
Click here to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there, I am glad you have taken the time to leave a comment. Thanks - I am looking forward to reading it.