Tuesday, September 14, 2010

got the set-up

It's taken a little while and some time off - but I've taken some time to set up a small office space in the basement that I can sit down and work at to develop more of the graphic novel and do more of my artwork, which is excellent (the space, not the artwork).

Here you can see all of the books and references on my shelves. These had been in boxes for the past few months - and I'm relieved to have them all back. One 'reference' book I have not been able to find since the move has been my Bible. I don't read it all that often, but so very often, many of the myths and stories in narratives today are analogies or interpretations of parables or stories from the New or Old Testaments. I like going back and reading the originals and seeing how the new interpretations have borrowed from the original text and what changes are made. I think that's really important when it comes to understanding what an author is doing.

[Many people/writers will keep volumes of the seminary texts of the English language including the anthologized work of Shakespeare, for the same purposes. They can be incredibly useful for adding layers of meaning to a story, by referencing an old inspirational seminary text.]

Anyhow - no Bible yet. Don't know where I put it - but it definitely should be amongst the rest of my books. Now I don't know where they wound up - I must have another box somewhere that has the rest of what I'm looking for.

You can also see a PC tower (that's over ten years old, basically a glorified digital photo album that I need to get the pictures off of before I discharge it from service for good) and monitor, my laptop, a great spot by the window with natural light, and two desks along with a guitar stand. Nothing helps fuel creative juices like plunking the guitar for a while. Also, I'd like to put some diplomas and awards up on the wall to inspire/remind me of the work I've accomplished in the past.


From here you can see all the great lighting I'll have on the drafting table. A three-way standing lamp that has five lights, as well as a bonus 80 watt bulb for more light, a printer/scanner/copier, a cork-board for visual references, a pair of slippers, a great supply of standard 8.5" x 11" paper, a hole punch, and a giant stock of sketching pencils and inking pens. It's basically ready to go - and that's exciting to me.

One of the most important tools in the room: the radio. Drafting and drawing do not lend themselves well to watching television. It's hard to keep your eyes on both - BUT the radio! Ah, I love the radio. Talk radio, sports radio ... generally not anything that plays music. And very shortly the Leafs games are going to be on every evening. Man, it will be wonderful.

So - stay tuned. I've got a lot of original content to put out in the next little while, and MAYBE I'll post a few deadlines I'd like to commit to. If I do - then I'll be able to let you know exactly what to expect, and when. Which puts the pressure on me, but also means I'll have something to show for myself and my hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there, I am glad you have taken the time to leave a comment. Thanks - I am looking forward to reading it.